The Leader of the Council shall have the following responsibilities:
· When present to chair meetings of the Cabinet;
· Appoint and dismiss Portfolio Holders and the Deputy Leader
· Appoint to and dismiss from committees of the Cabinet
· Determine from time to time the roles and areas of responsibility of Portfolio Holders
· In the absence of a Portfolio Holder, or on written notice to that Portfolio Holder, to exercise any of that Portfolio Holder’s functions him/herself or arrange the discharge of those functions by another Portfolio Holder or a Corporate Director
· Champion the Borough locally, nationally and internationally and act as an advocate for its residents
· Work with the Government to maximise opportunities for devolution, fairer funding and growth
· Lead the development and implementation of the Council’s Corporate Plan and Budget
· Lead the Council’s Strategy to address all forms of inequality
· Lead the Council’s response and recovery from COVID-19
· To be responsible for the strategic direction of regeneration and the development of local and regional plans
· Liaise with Government Departments, the Greater London Authority, London Councils, West London Alliance and other local, sub-regional and public bodies
· Champion the Council’s media relations and promote its brand and reputation
· Ensure that the decisions and activities of the Council comply with the highest possible ethical standards and that all Members of the Council adhere to the Code of Conduct.
(Note: Full details of the Leader’s responsibilities can be found in Part 3A of the Council's Constitution).
The Leader is also the Strategy, Regeneration, Partnerships and Devolution Portfolio Holder.
Portfolio Holder Decisions taken by the Leader can be found on the Leader’s Decisions webpage.