The Cabinet has the responsibility for the following functions:
(1) Development of proposals for the budget (including the capital and revenue budgets, the fixing of the Council Tax Base, and the level of Council Tax) and the financial strategy for the Council;
(2) Monitoring the implementation of the budget and financial strategy;
(3) Recommending major new policies (and amendments to existing policies) to the Council for approval as part of the Council’s Policy Framework and implementing those approved by Council;
(4) Preparation and agreement of other policies and plans for implementation by Portfolio Holders and others;
(5) Approval and management of the Council’s Capital Programme and Strategy;
(6) All key decisions – namely:
(i) an executive decision which is likely to result in the Council incurring expenditure which is, or the making of savings which are, significant having regard to the budget for the service or function to which the decision relates; or
(ii) an executive decision which is likely to be significant in terms of its effects on communities living or working in an area of two or more wards of the Borough.
A decision is significant for the purposes of (i) above if it involves expenditure or the making of savings of an amount in excess of £1m for capital expenditure or £500,000 for revenue expenditure or, where expenditure or savings are less than the amounts specified above, they constitute more than 50% of the budget attributable to the service in question.
(7) Award of contracts over £500,000 and all matters reserved to the Executive under the Contract Procedure Rules
(8) Virements between budgets as required by the Financial Regulations;
(9) Making all non-key decisions which either fall outside Cabinet policy or agreed Executive guidelines, or have been referred to the Executive by the relevant Portfolio Holder or Corporate Director;
(10) Determination of recommendations and references from the Council or any of its Committees or sub-committees and which the Cabinet considers are appropriate for collective decision;
(11) Approval of HRA Rents.
Cabinet Members also make decisions within their roles as Portfolio Holders. Decisions may be subject to call-in under certain circumstances.
Information on how to submit a petition, deputation or public question is available on the council website.
Support officer: Nikoleta Kemp, Senior Democratic & Electoral Services Officer. Tel: 07761 405898 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org