Venue: Meeting Room 3, Fourth Floor - Harrow Council Hub. View directions
Contact: Alison Atherton, Senior Professional - Democratic Services Tel: 07825 726493 E-mail: email@example.com
To note under the provisions of the formula membership the attendance of any nominees.
RESOLVED: To note that there were no nominee Members in attendance.
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations of disclosable pecuniary or non pecuniary interests, arising from business to be transacted at this meeting, from all Members present.
RESOLVED: To note that there were no declarations of interests made by Members.
That the minutes of the meeting held on 8 December 2022 be taken as read and signed as a correct record.
RESOLVED: That the minutes of the meeting of the Chief Officers’ Employment Panel held on 8 December 2023 be taken as read and signed as a correct record.
Recruitment of Director of Children Services and Director of Corporate Resources & Transformation PDF 114 KB
Report of the Chief Executive
Members received a report which proposed the creation of a new post, the Director of Resources and Transformation, and sought approval to the associated remuneration package. The report also sought approval to recruit to a vacancy within the People Directorate and the interim arrangement to cover this statutory post should they be required.
Members expressed the view that they were keen to initially have an internal recruitment process for the new post of Director of Resources and Transformation. If following that process, including the interview of candidates by the Panel, there was no suitable candidate, the post should be advertised externally.
The Corporate Director, People, advised the Panel that the current Director of Children Services (DCS) was retiring at the end of May and therefore it was likely that an interim postholder would be required for this statutory post until a permanent DCS was appointed. She explained that the current postholder had only been required to give three months’ notice and permanent recruitment at this level could take up to six months due to notice periods.
The Chair stated that it was important to advertise the DCS role externally as soon as possible rather than undertaking an internal recruitment process first. If the internal recruitment exercise for an interim DCS was unsuccessful and it was therefore necessary to advertise externally, the Panel would interview any suitable candidates.
The Panel, having unanimously agreed to amend the recommendations to enable an internal recruitment exercise for the newly created role of Director of Resources and Transformation prior to advertising externally it was
(1) the recruitment for the statutory post of Director of Children Services – D3 be approved;
(2) if an Interim Director of Children’s Services was required to cover this statutory post, suitable internal candidates be invited to apply and attend an interview by the Panel;
(3) the role profile, salary package and recruitment process for the post of the Director of Corporate Resources and Transformation - D3 with a salary package of £127,698 - £140,652 be approved;
(4) internal candidates for the role of Director of Resources and Transformation be invited to apply and attend an interview by the Panel prior to an external recruitment process;
(5) the appointment of a search agency to support the recruitment to both the Director of Children Services, Interim Director of Children Services (if required) and Director of Corporate Resources and Transformation be approved.