Venue: Committee Room 6, Harrow Civic Centre, Station Road, Harrow, HA1 2XY. View directions
Contact: Alison Atherton, Senior Professional - Democratic Services Tel: 020 8424 1266 E-mail: email@example.com
To note under the provisions of the formula membership the attendance of any nominees.
RESOLVED: To note that there were no nominee Members in attendance.
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations of disclosable pecuniary or non pecuniary interests, arising from business to be transacted at this meeting, from:
(a) all Members of the Panel;
(b) all other Members present.
The Divisional Director, Strategic Commissioning advised Members that as he had a pecuniary interest in item 5, Extension of existing Interim Senior Management Arrangements, he would leave the room the consideration and vote on this item. Similarly, he advised that the Interim Chief Executive (Head of Paid Service) would not be in attendance for the consideration and vote on item 4, Recruitment Process for the appointment of Chief Executive (Head of Paid Service).
RESOLVED: To note that there were no declarations of interest made by Members.
That the minutes of the meeting of the Chief Officers’ Employment Panel held on 26 March 2018 be taken as read and signed as a correct record.
RESOLVED: That the minutes of the meeting held on 26 March 2018 be taken as read and signed as a correct record.
Agreeing the Recruitment Process for the Permanent Appointment of a Chief Executive (Head of Paid Service)
Report of the Divisional Director of Strategic Commissioning
Members received a report which set out the proposal for the recruitment to the role of Chief Executive (Head of Paid Service). The Divisional Director, Strategic Commissioning advised that authority was being sought to approach recruitment agencies with a view to identifying a suitable candidate for this role.
Two Members indicated that their Group did not agree that the Council should appoint a full time Chief Executive but should instead explore formally the possibility of a shared Chief Executive with another Council. Such discussions should take place before the recruitment process was commenced.
Other members of the Panel acknowledged the views expressed and stated that a number of options had been considered.
An amendment to the recommendation was moved, put to the vote and was lost.
RESOLVED: That the Director of Legal and Governance Services be authorised, following consultation with the Leader of the Council, to approach recruitment agencies to support the recruitment process for the position of Chief Executive (Head of Paid Service).
[Note: Councillor Marilyn Ashton and Councillor Paul Osborn wished to be recorded as having voted against the above Resolution.]
Report of the Interim Chief Executive (Head of Paid Service)
The Panel, having adjourned at 3.20 pm reconvened at 3.22 pm, considered a report of the Interim Chief Executive which sought authority to extend the interim arrangements for the Council’s senior management structure.
Members noted that the report included a confidential appendix and one Member challenged the grounds for the exempt information. Members agreed that this matter be raised with the Director of Legal and Governance Services as this was a recurring issue at Panel meetings. If appropriate, the appendix would be attached to the minutes.
The Interim Chief Executive outlined the content of the report and advised that he would report back to the Panel if there were any further changes to the senior management structure.
RESOLVED: That, having noted the information contained in the appendix, the following interim arrangements be extended until after the recruitment to the Chief Executive (Head of Paid Service) position who will then put in place his/her permanent senior management structure:
(1) the Divisional Director Children and Young People Service continue to act up into the position of Corporate Director of People on an interim basis, subject to there being no well-founded objections from members of the Executive;
(2) the Head of Adult Social Care continue to act up into the role of Director of Adult Social Services on an interim basis, subject to there being no well-founded objections from members of the Executive;
(3) the Corporate Director of Community continue on an interim basis to be responsible for the Planning and Regeneration Directorate and be the line manager of the Director of Planning and Regeneration;
(4) the Director of Finance continue to take on additional responsibilities as agreed by this Panel in February 2018;
(5) the Divisional Director Strategic Commissioning to continue take on additional responsibilities as agreed by this Panel in February 2018;
(6) the Divisional Director Commissioning and Commercial Services (Community Directorate) continue to take on additional responsibilities as agreed by this Panel in February 2018;
(7) the Head of Service Corporate Parenting continue to act up into the position of Divisional Director Children and Young People Service.