Report of the Corporate Director, Resources.
(1) the modernisation transformation be fully restarted and the Corporate Director of Resources, following consultation with the relevant Portfolio Holder, be authorised to take steps to progress the planned changes (Cabinet would be regularly updated on the steps taken and any significant proposed changes would be brought back to Cabinet for decision);
(2) it be agreed that short-term capacity be added to key areas of support, to help staff and managers as they worked to recover the Council from the pandemic and therefore support residents;
(3) the following budgets be set aside utilising the flexible use of Capital Receipts’ Scheme:
1. Modernisation Programme - £3,804,638
2. Additional Capacity - £640,000
Reason for Decision: The Council needed to prepare itself to move from how it operated during the pandemic to how it would work and recover after the lockdown had ended. Only by having an effective organisation would the Council be able to support residents and businesses during recovery and in the longer term.
There were two key activities that would be central to the Council making this move:
1. Fully restarting the Modernisation programme. Most of the programme was put on hold when the pandemic started in order to release capacity and to not divert focus away from the response to the Covid-19 emergency. The Modernisation programme would now be key to developing the organisation, and so supporting residents, as we moved out of the pandemic, including supporting the Council’s equalities, diversity and inclusion agenda.
2. Adding short-term additional capacity to two key support areas to support the transformation and so that all staff and managers could be appropriately helped as they grappled to re-start services and move forward as the pandemic lifted.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected: As set out in the report.
Conflict of Interest relating to the matter declared by Cabinet Member/Dispensation Granted: None.