Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To approve the renewal of the scheme, in line with legislation.
(1) the outcome of the consultation be noted and the proposed Additional Licensing Scheme to license Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) of any number of storeys occupied by three or more unrelated people be agreed;
(2) the Designation be made on 6 May 2021, to come into force on 6 August 2021 after the statutory 3-month period required by The Licensing and Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation and Other Houses (Miscellaneous Provisions) (England) Regulations 2006, be agreed;
(3) the Head of Community & Public Protection, following consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Environment and Equalities, be authorised to take all steps necessary to publicise, commence and administer the scheme including the issuing and amending of licences;
(4) the Corporate Director Community, following consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Environment and Equalities, be authorised to amend and approve licensing conditions.
Reason for Decision:
· Obtaining approval would enable the Council to deal effectively with complaints relating to issues such as overcrowding, anti-social behaviour, overflowing bins, lack of fire safety and amenities.
· Licensing conditions would ensure landlords compliance and therefore benefit tenants and neighbours alike.
· Having the scheme would fit in with the overall policy of the Council to address private rented sector premises to ensure standards were met, in line with the use of Mandatory HMO and Selective Licensing.
· As the majority of the housing stock and HMO's in the borough were two storey properties and not subject to mandatory licensing, additional licensing would enable the Council to better protect the health, safety and welfare of the occupants.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected: As set out in the report.
Conflict of Interest relating to the matter declared by Cabinet Member/Dispensation Granted: None.
Report author: Director of Environment
Publication date: 30/04/2021
Date of decision: 29/04/2021
Decided at meeting: 29/04/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 11/05/2021