Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Cabinet is requested to:
1. Approve the request to grant the Housing Asset Management Team permission to collaborate with the lead Borough Ealing to utilise the funding awarded under the GHG:LAD to the West London coalition of 12 boroughs to enable retrofit solutions works to be delivered via an appointed managing agent procured by the lead Borough. An indicative allocation, based on population and fuel poverty figures, of £10.788 million was awarded to the West London Coalition. Harrow’s indicative allocation for Phase 2 is £0.75 million. We seek permission to collaborate with the lead Borough Ealing to utilise the funding awarded under the Green Homes Grant (GHG) coalition bid from the delegated authority mentioned in 2.
2. Delegate authority to the Corporate Director of Community, following consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Housing and Employment, Portfolio Holder for Finance/ Commercialisation and, Director of Finance to:
2.1Contribution of £75,000 from the HRA under Phase 2 which requires require the Council to match funding for the installation of energy efficiency measures on 30 Council-Owned properties. We will seek approval from the delegated authority mentioned in 1.2, to allow us to contribute the £75,000 required in line with Grant Contribution requirements.
2.2Apply for and claim the Green Homes Grant: Local Authority Delivery scheme allocation as part of the established West London Coalition:
a. subject to grant award confirmation by the Department of Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), Phase 3 in a sum to be confirmed in an update report to Cabinet following award in October 2021; and
b. any further subsequent phases of the Green Homes Grant: Local Authority Delivery Scheme, Sustainable Warmth Competition, and/or Home Upgrade Grant.
(1) the collaboration with the lead Borough Ealing, in order to utilise the funding awarded under the Green Homes Grant: Local Authority Delivery scheme (GHG:LAD) Phase 2 and any further phases to the West London consortium of 12 boroughs, be agreed to enable retrofit solutions works to be delivered via an appointed managing agent procured by the lead Borough).
a. Approve the contribution of £75,000 from the HRA under Phase 2 which required the Council to match fund one third of the Green Homes Grant of £150,000 for the installation of energy efficiency measures to council owned properties.
b. Seek and secure future funding including Phase 3 of the Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery Scheme, Sustainable Warmth Competition, and/or Home Upgrade Grant following, following a West London Consortium competitive procurement process or other compliant procurement process, to take all necessary actions to utilise such funding and carry out further retrofit works to homes in the Borough.
Reason for Decision: An indicative allocation, based on population and fuel poverty figures, of £10.788 million was awarded to the West London Consortium. Harrow’s indicative allocation for Phase 2 is £750,000 based on this formula. This would fund the retrofitting of at least a further 75 properties in addition to the anticipated 58 in Phase 1a.
The delivery of retrofit activity under the scheme would enable the Council to:
- Addressthe ClimateEmergency thatHarrow Councilhad declared by undertaking domestic retrofit measures in the borough.
- Targetnot onlyHarrow’s poorestenergy performingstock butalso those households ingreatest needhelping toreduce fuelpoverty.
- Contribute to helping the local Harrow economy by providingopportunities for local training within colleges and employmentopportunities, viaagreed socialvalue contribution/commitments.
- Improve the energy efficiency of private properties and social housing, supported by grantfunding and £75,000 Harrow HRA funding.
Due to the estimated value of the proposed contract award, Cabinet authorisation was required to comply with the Council’s Contract Procedure rules and to enable utilisation of the grant funding.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected: As set out in the report.
Conflict of Interest relating to the matter declared by Cabinet Member/Dispensation Granted: None.
Report author: Divisional Director, Housing Services
Publication date: 22/10/2021
Date of decision: 21/10/2021
Decided at meeting: 21/10/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 30/10/2021