Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommend Forward to Council
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Gambling Act 2005 places a responsibility on local authorities to publish a gambling statement of principles (policy) every three years. The last policy was published in January 2018. This is a reportreport seeking approval to adopt the proposed revised statement of principles.
Resolved to RECOMMEND: (to Council)
(1) That the Revised Statement of Principles, as set out in Appendix A to the officer report, be recommended to Council for approval, noting the following:
a) each application would be considered on its own individual merits without regard to demand and regulate gambling in the interests of public interest; and
b) each application should uphold the three gambling objectives:
· Preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime and disorder or being used to support crime
· Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
· Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling
(2) That a “no casino” resolution be continued as previously agreed by the Authority as there is no evidence base to show the need for a casino or the benefits of such an establishment (the policy continues to support well-run, compliant gambling premises).
[Call-in did not apply to the decisions above as they are reserved to Council]
RESOLVED: That the Revised Statement of Principles as set out in Appendix A to the officer report, be recommended to Council for approval.
Reasons: The Authority has a statutory obligation to review and publish its gambling statement of principles every three years. A full consultation had been undertaken in relation to this policy.
Report author: Corporate Director, Community
Publication date: 18/11/2021
Date of decision: 18/11/2021
Decided at meeting: 18/11/2021 - Cabinet