Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Agreement to the proposed strategy for the Council’s future accommodation and the Harrow New Civic Centre, approval to fit out Forward Drive Depot for Council occupation and the incorporation of the strategy in the proposed Harrow Strategic Development Partnership Business plan.
Having noted the confidential appendices to the report and the points raised by Councillor Stephen Greek as Vice-Chair of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee in relation to the reference submitted (at Appendix 9), Cabinet
(1) the Council’s accommodation strategy be based on Forward Drive Depot and a new Harrow Civic Centre at Peel Road, Wealdstone;
(2) the proposed new Harrow Civic Centre be at around 20,000 sq. ft floorspace at an estimated cost of £21.899m (this was broken down into £17.073m for the New Civic Centre and £4.826m for 40 units of basement parking, with the exact dimensions and costs determined following detailed design);
(3) a further report to agree the final design and costs be submitted to Cabinet for approval;
(4) the report on final design and costs be included in the draft business plan for the proposed Harrow Strategic Development Partnership together with the 40 units of basement car parking and the proposed construction of 46 units of affordable housing;
(5) the fit out of Forward Drive Depot at an estimated cost of £8.415m (£7.690m capital expenditure and £0.725m revenue requirement), be approved;
(6) the award of the fit out works to Kier, the principal contractors at Forward Drive Depot, be approved, by variation to the existing contract with the necessary waiver to the Council’s Contract Procedure Rules;
(7) the estimated financial impact for the Council of the Harrow Strategic Development Financial Viability Model as detailed in the financial implications section of the report, be noted;
(8) within the 2021/22 Capital Programme a virement of £7.690m in 2021/22 be approved from the ‘Poets Corner’ scheme to a newly created scheme titled ‘Accommodation Strategy’ to fund the fit out of the Forward Drive Depot;
(9) within the 2021/22 Capital Programme a virement of the balance of £0.429m be approved from the ‘Poets Corner’ scheme into the ‘Investment in 3 core sites’ scheme to support the capital requirement for the new HNC and basement parking;
(10) the Chief Executive, following consultation with the Director of Finance, the Leader of the Council and the Cabinet Member for Finance & Resources , be authorised to make decisions pertaining to procurement and contractual issues, including the approval of further variations to the fit out of the Forward Drive Depot, and the authority to issue further variations to the contract with Kier.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected: As set out in the report.
Conflict of Interest relating to the matter declared by Cabinet Member/Dispensation Granted: None.
Report author: Chief Executive
Publication date: 28/05/2021
Date of decision: 27/05/2021
Decided at meeting: 27/05/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 08/06/2021
This decision has been called in by: