Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Approval of the Council’s interim strategy and action plan, in response to the Climate Emergency Declaration previously referred to Cabinet in September 2019.
(1) the Interim Strategy and Action Plan appended to the report, be approved, noting that those projects requiring additional resources were subject to an approved business case prior to commencement;
(2) the initial resourcing requirements, set out at paragraph 4.10 of the report, be noted;.
(3) the wider ecological implications of the human-induced changes that were occurring to our climate be noted;
(4) the scale and pace of transformation needed across both the organisation and the borough as a whole in order to address the 2030 target date for carbon neutrality, be noted;
(5) it be noted that whilst the Council would provide local leadership, moving towards carbon neutrality for the borough as a whole involved major systems change and required the combined action of national, regional, and local government, together with widespread engagement and action from those living and working in our borough;
(6) the Corporate Director – Community, be authorised following consultation with the Leader of the Council, to agree a process for priority allocation of Carbon Offset Funds to contribute towards carbon reduction initiatives.
Reason for Decision: To enable further work to be progressed in response to the previously declared Climate Emergency.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected: As set out in the report.
Conflict of Interest relating to the matter declared by Cabinet Member/Dispensation Granted: None.
Report author: Paul Walker
Publication date: 20/03/2020
Date of decision: 19/03/2020
Decided at meeting: 19/03/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 28/03/2020