Formerly known as the Health Sub-Committee. The Sub-Committee was renamed at Council (Extraordinary) on 10 March 2011.
The Health and Social Care Scrutiny Sub-Committee has the following powers and duties:
1. To be the key driver of the scrutiny function’s health and social care scrutiny programme and maintain relationships with health and social care colleagues and partners in relation to shared stated priorities, in consultation with the Overview & Scrutiny Committee.
2. To be responsible in accordance with Regulation 28 of the Local Authority (Public Health and Wellbeing Boards and Health Scrutiny) Regulations 2013 for scrutiny of the Council’s health functions other than the power under Regulation 23(9) to make referrals to the Secretary of State.
3. To recommend to Council that a referral be made to the Secretary of State under Regulation 23(9) of the Local Authority (Public Health, Health and Wellbeing and Health Scrutiny) Regulations 2013.
4. To have specific responsibility for scrutiny of the following functions:
§ Health and social care infrastructure and service
§ NHS England, Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) and the Health and Wellbeing Board
§ Public Health
§ Other policy proposals which may have an impact on health, public health, social care and wellbeing
§ Collaborative working with health agencies
§ Commissioning and contracting health services
5. To review the planning, provision and operation of Health services in Harrow and ensure compliance with Regulation 21(1) of the Local Authority (Public Health, Health and Wellbeing Boards and Health Scrutiny) Regulations 2013 by inviting and taking account of information and reports from local health providers and other interested parties including the local HealthWatch.
6. Where a referral is made through the local HealthWatch arrangements, to comply with Regulation 21(3) of the Local Authority (Public Health, Health and Wellbeing Boards and Health Scrutiny) Regulations 2013 by ensuring that the referral is acknowledged within 20 days and that the referrer is informed of any action taken.
7. Where appropriate, to consider and make recommendations for response to NHS consultations on proposed substantial developments/variations in health services that would affect the people of LB Harrow.
8. Where appropriate, to consider and make recommendations for response to consultations from local health trusts, Department of Health, Care Quality Commission and any organisation which provides health services outside the local authority’s area to inhabitants within it.
9. Continue to seek the development of relationship with NHS England, CCGs, Health and Wellbeing Boards, Care Quality Commission, HealthWatch and the Local Medical Council.
(Note: Members of the Executive or members of the Health and Wellbeing Board may not be members of the Health and Social Care Scrutiny Sub Committee. Any health matter requiring an urgent decision/comment before the next meeting of the Health & Social Care Sub-Committee will be considered by the Overview and Scrutiny Committee if that is sooner).
Information on how to submit a petition, deputation or public question is available on the council website.
Support officer: Rita Magdani, Senior Democratic & Electoral Services Officer. Tel: 07707 138582 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org